Family Holiday dum dum dum Abroad v UK Cottage
So we've just booked our week away!
A cottage in Devon, we've been to Devon a few times with the kids now. Bideford has been great, but we've decided to head further south this time, well that should be we're braving a longer car journey with Willow! So we've booked a little place called Brixham; by account "The English Riviera". All seems very twee, the cottage of a good standard, has a telly and wifi.
We'll have a lovely time, does it feel like a holiday if you don't get on a plane? Mmmmmm it certainly has a different feel to it, as carefrees with no children Mr. C and I had a fair few holidays and city breaks, you know jetting off (well to Bruges, Zante and Amsterdam). We did favour the Greek islands, all very relaxing, sunny, beachy, exotic, non-british, you know abroad.....
We have been up up and away with the children, Crete, Lanzarote and Menorca. They were very nice, a good break, but somewhat stressful. Why is that? Comparing and contrasting jetting off to a good old British getaway:
1. So, in the UK you're able to without worry and too much fuss nip to a 24 hour Tesco to collect the 152 items the baby needs (that you've not thought of). UK Hol 1
2. In the same vein you can travel with your car, rather than the limited (measly) baggage allowance (come on do you know how much wedges weigh... I'm not leaving them lovelies behind). UK Hol 1
|Gorgeous sun, but it's hard work keeping Willow factor 50'd up|
3. However, you actually have to drive your car to these southern UK destinations, with children in the car, in heavy traffic as you near your idyllic coastal town... HELL. Abroad Hol 1
4. Flying with children... is also HELL ON EARTH... between the two of us on a flight back from Lanzarote, Mr. C and I decided that on return to the UK we'd be putting the baby in a home. Honestly our laid back little lad who was seldom any trouble can only be described as HELL BOY on a four hour flight! UK Hol 1
5. So okay, transfer from airport... twice our Liz has vommed over me, and then the cheeky mare made me sit away from her because I smelt of sick (funny that). At least if they vom in the car, you can pull over to services and give it a good fabreeze. UK Hol 1
6. Weather.... well on the days we plan to beach in a seaside UK town... yes it poured down, however, the kids don't mind, they still make sandcastles and paddle... me not so much, really I'd die in a bikini braving the elements in Scarborough. Abroad Hol 1 (however bonus 10)
|Would you get a free donkey in the Canary Islands?|
7. The cost of a decent meal in the UK is possibly twice that on the Greek islands...so you don't eat out every night... Abroad Hol 1
8. Here, you don't have to miss the Bake Off while you're away... UK Hol 1
9. Cottages anywhere in the world are cosy cosy cosy... oppose to that of a villa or an apartment, or worse still a château, they just haven't got the same charm? Snuggling down evening times with kids tired out after a day at The Big Sheep, bottle of wine, good film, cuddling up, take away, BLISS UK Hol 1
10. Warm evenings drinking wine on a balcony, in my living memory in this country I've never not worn a cardigan sitting out in the back at night.... Abroad Hol 1
|Waterproof jacket a must, but still smiling!|
Summing up, for us at this time in our life, we need the home comforts of the UK, but you know what we've had some lovely times, and I'm sure one day, in about ten years we'll chance flying with Willow again....